Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I have a site!! I will be spending my next two years in a pueblito called General Bernardino Caballero, about 100 km from Asuncion. For the celebration/site revel everyone received folders with their site description, names of other volunteers that are near them, the types of resources they will likely be working with, names and occupations of contacts etc.  It's actually a ton of information but I feel that there is only so much a folder can tell you about a community, so I'm really excited to visit this weekend. One of my contacts is coming on Friday to meet me and take me back. I'll spend the weekend meeting as many people as I can, but especially the doctors and nurses that are working at the health center as they were the ones who requested a volunteer for their community.  After that, it's back to training to finish up all the odds and ends until we all move for good on April 11th.

One of things that I'm specifically excited about are the area. Paraguay is very flat, but my site is actually at the base of some hills and there is a ton of hiking/outdoorsy (zip lining?) stuff nearby.  The health center has also expressed a lot of interested in prenatal education/breast feeding/general women's health which would fit my interests perfectly, but really the opportunities will be endless.

I'll be sure to update after he visit, but for now here's a picture that I found from a google search.

www.panoramio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment