Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Halfway There

I'm in the middle of the 5th week of our 10 week pre-service training. It's hard to believe that time is going so fast. Next Monday we leave for long field practice, which is a four day excursion to help a volunteer and get some more hands on training in a setting more similar to what we will experience in our own sites. I'm headed to Caaguazu with one of our language teachers, a tech trainer, and four of my classmates. We will be giving a charla on dental health to adults, helping with a computer class, and giving a charla on parasites to first-graders. I'm excited to see another part of Paraguay while trying out my language in a more stressful/realistic situation.

After the trip, we'll have only one more week before we receive our site placements. We had placement interviews where we talked about the kind of work we would be excited about doing, and I'm optimistic.  All of the community health sites will have a health center, a school, and some sort of commission (youth, women's, etc.)  I think having all of these resources nearby will give us a lot to start with.

Fun fact of the day: Guarani (the language I'm studying here) occupies third place for the etymological origin of the scientific names for plants, behind Greek and Latin.

Completed Fagone for a local school and my training group. Photo credit to Kelsey!

No comments:

Post a Comment