Friday, May 29, 2015

After getting back from Peru I jumped right back into work with a workshop on Gender Equality with my seniors in high school. Luckily, I had help from my regional coordinator Doug, and although the presentation was a bit long for the kids a few of them told me today that they learned a lot and thought it was an interesting and important topic.

The HeforShe campaign is a solidarity movement for gender equality spearheaded my UN Women. The idea is that, while historically the feminist movement has relied on women working for women, gender inequality affects all of us, male or female.

The HeForShe Commitment says:

Gender equality is not only a women’s issue, it is a human rights issue that requires my participation. I commit to take action against all forms of violence and discrimination faced by women and girls.

Because these issues are not commonly discussed here in Paraguay, we kept things simple and talked about how gender is a social construct, and how many parts of the macho culture can be as damaging to men and boys as it is to women and girls. We talked about equality as it relates to the ability of each individual to live a healthy life, find peace and contentment, and chose their own path. At the end of the workshop, the participants earned certificates and were able to elect to take the pledge.

Me, my counterpart teacher, and my students.





While it's really hard to gauge how much of the information was really resonating with these kids, especially the young boys, I'm glad that they at least had exposure to this important issue and hopefully we can keep building on this foundation throughout the rest of the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment