Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Alive and well!

I’m writing this first post in the shade of a covered front porch just after seven in the evening, wearing as little clothing is as socially acceptable in Paraguay, and praying for rain.  My trainee group, G44, arrived in Asunción at 8am on January 31st and this heat (over 100, reaching 108) has persisted without a break.  Welcome to Paraguay!

In the past 11 days I have been placed in a host family, completed a week of our 10 week training, and had something like 100 liters of tereré, a ubiquitous iced yerba mate drink.  We have also been so busy with training that it feels as if I’ve been here a month at least.  Our classes are held either in the small town of Guarambaré or in one of two satellite s communities where the host families live.  Training covers language, our technical area-health, culture, security, and the “intangible elements” that a volunteer needs to be successful.  So far, everything is been pretty basic aside from my new language of study, Guaraní.  Guaraní and Spanish coexist pretty much equally in Paraguay, with a preference for Guarani to tell jokes, fight, and express emotion more generally.  It’s difficult, but I’m enjoying the classes and my host family loves to help me practice.

This week we are going to Asunción in pairs to talk to NGOs or other government organizations to familiarize ourselves with some options for partners as well as the city itself.  I’m excited not to be stuck in the classroom for 8 hours and for a chance to check out the capital city. We also are going on site visits next week so I’ll finally get to see the campo we've been talking so much about.

Limited internet and time but I’ll try and update again soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thats hot! Cheers to more iced drinks! : ) Hello from TX! ~Amy (your dad's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are safe and sound!!! And though it is cold here, I am not jealous of that 100 degree heat. I'd be naked already. I admire your self control. Keep up the hard work, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad everything is going well so far! Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete