Friday, September 9, 2011

Observation numero uno.

Well, I made it to Granada, and today I finished my third day of orientation.  I'm living with an older woman named Amparo, and her adorable German shepard. I have my own room, which has a window to the inside of the house.  Granada so far has been different in some ways, but the city doesn't feel for "foreign" as I expected.  Everyone I've talked to has been nice, and it is very beautiful here.  One of the biggest difference I've found is that Spain, and I'd assume this is true to a degree in the rest of Europe as well, has so much history that it is barely noticed, and not "protected" in the way it would be in the US.  For example, my classroom is a room in a museum, and on the table are two huge books from the 15th century.  No covers, no glass.  My teacher was leaning on one of them for a while today.  In America, you'd have to use gloves to turn the pages and have a permission to even look at them.

I've been slowly exploring the city as well. It's big, but small enough that you can walk almost everywhere.  On tuesday, I went with some girls to a park and gardens called "Carmen de los Martires" that sits up on a hill.  The view was nice, however the day was a bit hazy.


This brings me to the next thing that is different in Spain.  I could have fallen right off this and nobody would have thought it was anyone's fault but mine.  There are no guard rails, no signs warning you of danger, and nothing in your way of taking pictures.

A few more:





The last is my favorite.  Tomorrow we're taking a trip to the beach and going on a hike.  Anyway, I'm not sure how you're supposed to stop a blog so I guess I'll just stop.

-Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment