Friday, April 18, 2014

Well, I've officially been in site for one week. This week just so happened to also be Semana Santa in Paraguay, (and I suppose for Catholics everywhere) so I've been filling my days visiting neighbors, practicing my Spanish/Guarani, making Chipa, and going to church. I did spend Monday and Tuesday morning in the health center learning how everything works/recording vitals. Next week things should pick up a bit and I hope to meet the remaining school principals, get started on my health census, and get into a more regular schedule.

Wait, what in the world is Chipa you ask? Good question.

If you look up Chipa on Wikipedia, you will be directed to “Cheese Bun,” which doesn't really get the whole message across, as the flavor is very different than any type of bread I've ever had.  It’s made with a mix of mandioca (cassava, yucca, whatever you want to call it) flour, corn flour, pig fat or butter (but much more commonly pig fat), eggs, cheese, salt, and anise seeds. Chipa is traditionally made on Wednesday to be consumed on Good Friday when everyone abstains from eating meat. I wanted to ask why pig fat doesn't count as meat consumption but I figured since I’m new, better just to go with the flow. Chipa is also consumed throughout the year and is sold on buses for 1 or 2 Guaranis (50 cents/1 dollar). After participating in the preparation, I can see why most people are happy to prepare their own chipa only once a year, as it’s very labor intensive.

Wait, my description has inspired you to make your own chipa at home? Well, here are some pictures to guide your efforts! As for a recipe, you’re on your own. Every family has their own version and when I asked questions along the way I got answers like, “You’re done kneading when it looks good,” or, “I don’t know how much (whatever ingredient) really, my mom just tells me when it’s right.”

Step 1.
Buy and chuck corn and remove the kernels. Run the kernels through a grinder to mash it all up like so. Also, if you are planning to use a tatakua (brick oven), heat that sucker up with a crap ton of wood and giant fire.



Step 2.
Filter the mashed up corn through a screen so that you have corn flour. In a giant bowl, mix your eggs, salt, pig fat, and cheese with your hands. Add both types of flour and the anise seeds and continue mixing, eating the dough to decide if there is enough of any one type of ingredient. For the record, I did not try the raw pig fat dough, although it was offered 57 times.

Step 3.
Knead the dough “until it looks right,” which, I think was until it was more smooth and less crumbly.


Step 4.
Shape the dough. Common forms are circles, parallelograms, and if you are a child, various animals or letters of your name.



Step 5.
Place banana leaves on top of your baking sheets, place the chipa on top, and put everything in the tatakua. It’s done when it’s done, as baking time depends on how hot your fire was.

Step 6.
Eat hot chipa, as this is when it’s best. By Friday, you need to dip it in various sugary tea-like substances, but oddly, this grows on you.

Step 7.
Take chipa to your neighbors/parents/brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents/everyone you have ever known, and expect that they will give you some in return.

Happy Easter Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment